The decision to place a family member in a nursing home is both stressful and emotional. You want the best possible care for your parent or loved one. You want them to be safe while receiving the medical services and supervision they require. While this need has driven you to this life-changing decision, you may still feel unsure or lack peace in your choice.
Here are some statistics about Florida nursing homes from the Florida Health Care Association. Equipping yourself with accurate information is an excellent way forward when it comes time to choose the right facility. It may also give you more peace of mind.
6 facts to ponder
- There are approximately 690 nursing homes in Florida, representing more than 84,450 beds.
- More than 71,000 residents are living in these facilities.
- According to Genworth.com, the median annual cost of living at a Florida nursing home is $105,642 for a semi-private room in 2020. For a private room, the median annual cost is $116,018.
- Medicaid pays for about 60% of long-term care spending. However, they only cover about 40% of the residents.
- Florida ranks first on a national scale for nursing home staffing rates, and the state requires the highest direct-care hours per resident per day ratio.
- By 2030, one in four Floridians will be in the over-65 age group.
As you move forward with choosing a facility, know that nursing home abuse and neglect is a widespread problem. Ensure that you place your loved in a safe facility by doing your research. The nonprofit news agency ProPublica has created an online database called “Nursing Home Inspect.” This database allows you to input your city, state or the name of a specific nursing home to view its safety status based on its history of abuse and negligence complaints.
Knowledge is power. Give yourself and your loved one the assurances necessary to enter this next stage of life with confidence.