Lawsuits Against Brookdale
Florida Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Brookdale Senior Living is the nation’s largest senior living operator, with thousands of locations across the United States, nearly 100 of which are spread out across Florida, including Jacksonville, Tampa, Fort Myers, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Miami, Panama City, Gainesville, and more. Brookdale offers a variety of options for elders, including assisted living, independent living, continuing care retirement communities, home health care, at-home care, memory care, and hospice. But, despite touting a high level of care and a variety of services for patients and residents, Brookdale has repeatedly come under fire for not only failing to provide an acceptable standard of care but also for endangering the lives of residents.
If you believe that your loved one suffered abuse, neglect, or any other violation of their rights while in the care of Brookdale Senior Living, reach out to our team at Ford, Dean & Rotundo, P.A. Our Florida nursing home abuse attorneys are prepared to handle lawsuits against Brookdale on behalf of residents and families throughout the state. We dedicate 100% of our practice to elder abuse and neglect, which allows us to devote all of our efforts, resources, and experience to helping victims fight for the justice they deserve.
Founded in Miami in 1976, our firm brings more than 50 years of experience to our practice. We have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients and are committed to holding wrongdoers accountable.
Alleged Misconduct by Brookdale Senior Living
In recent years, Brookdale has been the subject of several lawsuits throughout the United States.
Perhaps most notably, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra recently joined various city attorneys and district attorneys in bringing a lawsuit against Brookdale Senior Living in March of 2021. The lawsuit alleges, among other things, that the operator not only ignored various laws designed to protect individuals discharged from facilities in an attempt to boost profits, but also that it provided false information used to award nursing homes and other senior living facilities with “star ratings” available to the public.
This is not the first time that Brookdale has been accused of misconduct. Various lawsuits in New Mexico, Nevada, Illinois, and other states across the country have sought restitution on behalf of victims of alleged abuse and negligence at various Brookdale facilities. These lawsuits have involved an array of claims, from failure to follow proper fall-prevention protocols to neglect of elders with special medical conditions, such as Alzheimer’s and dementia to failure to preform timely CPR, leading to a resident’s death.
What Are the Signs of Elder Abuse & Neglect?
Unfortunately, it is not always possible to prevent someone you love from being harmed. While you may not be able to stop initial abuse or neglect from occurring, you can take immediate action at the first sign that something is wrong. It is important that you know and recognize the signs of elder abuse and neglect so that you can report suspected misconduct right away and prevent unnecessary suffering.
Some signs that your elderly loved one may be suffering abuse or neglect in a Brookdale Senior Living facility include:
- Unexplained Injuries: Bruises, cuts, scrapes, and more serious injuries, like broken bones or brain injuries, may all be signs of nursing home abuse or neglect. While some injuries and accidents are inevitable, nursing homes and assisted living facilities are responsible for taking proper injury-prevention measures and providing acceptable treatment when incidents occur.
- Infections: Bedsores (also known as pressure ulcers), pneumonia, sepsis, and other medical conditions can be life-threatening, particularly when they are poorly treated and/or lead to infection. Senior living facilities have a responsibility to residents to provide a proper and acceptable level of care to prevent infections and other complications.
- Dehydration/Malnutrition: Both dehydration and malnutrition are signs that an elderly individual is not receiving adequate care. Look for unexplained or unusual changes in weight (including both sudden weight loss and weight gain), lost fat or decreased muscle mass, “hollowed” cheeks or eyes, distended stomach, recurrent infections, and mouth/gum issues.
- Unclean or Unsanitary Facilities: One common sign that a nursing home or assisted living facility is not providing an acceptable level of care to its residents is a general lack of cleanliness or unsanitary conditions. Senior living facilities should offer clean, sterilized, and safe environments; anything less could be a sign of understaffing or general neglect.
- Changes in Mood or Behavior: Unusual or unexplained changes in mood or behavior could indicate abuse. Common examples include increased agitation or irritability, sudden bouts of depression or crying, new or increased anxiety, and changes in sleep patterns, appetite, and other behaviors.
If your loved one expresses discontent or complains of poor treatment, always take them seriously. You should also remember that your loved one may be unable or unwilling to speak up about abuse or neglect, which is why it is so important that you know the signs.
How to Report Elder Abuse in Florida
If you believe that your loved one is the victim of elder abuse or neglect, whether in a Brookdale Senior Living facility or elsewhere, you should report the suspected poor treatment or misconduct right away.
There are several ways to report elder abuse in Florida:
- If you believe your loved one is in immediate and imminent danger, call 911
- If you suspect that a single caregiver or staff member is carrying out the abuse or neglect, you can report it to the proper authorities at the facility
- You can also report elder abuse to Adult Protective Services 24/7 by calling 1-800-962-2873 or online at reportabuse.dcf.state.fl.us
- Additionally, you may file a complaint with the local long-term care ombudsman in your area; click here to learn more
Do not wait to report suspected elder abuse or nursing home neglect. Once you have filed a report with the appropriate authorities, reach out to a Florida elder abuse attorney at Ford, Dean & Rotundo, P.A. to learn how we can help you fight for the justice and fair compensation you are owed.
How Ford, Dean & Rotundo, P.A. Can Help
Knowing that someone you love has suffered needlessly at the hands of a trusted caregiver or assisted living facility is devastating. At Ford, Dean & Rotundo, P.A., we believe that you and your family deserve justice, and we know how to go up against major senior living operators in our pursuit of the full, fair compensation you are owed.
If you believe you have a lawsuit against Brookdale Senior Living in Florida, turn to our firm for the experienced and aggressive representation you need. Our attorneys stand up for those who have no voice and work tirelessly to hold wrongdoers accountable. For more than 50 years, we have dedicated ourselves to protecting the vulnerable and seeking justice on behalf of those who have suffered due to the negligent, abusive, and unlawful conduct of others.
We are prepared to handle every legal detail, including gathering evidence and submitting necessary paperwork, negotiating with Brookdale and/or another liable party, and even taking your case to trial if necessary. Throughout the process, we will be there to provide you with personalized attention and service every step of the way.