Florida Elderly Fall Injury Attorneys
How a Fall Can Derail Your Elderly Loved One’s Health
Falls are a leading cause of injury and death among seniors. It’s often a fall — or series of falls — that leads to placement in a nursing home, assisted living center, or hospital. These facilities are supposed to keep vulnerable elders safe. They’re supposed to have highly trained staff who know how to reduce the risk of falls. Yet, all too often, residents end up falling again while in professional care settings.
When a resident’s health is already frail, a fall can cause a sharp turn for the worse, wreaking havoc on fragile bones and ligaments. Hip, rib, back, and head injuries often lead to a cascade of consequences. Statistics have shown that many fall victims never fully recover, and a significant number pass away within a year of suffering a catastrophic fall.
Schedule your free initial consultation with our fall injury attorneys in Florida by calling us at (305) 670-2000 today. Ford, Dean & Rotundo, P.A. is here to help.
Was Negligence a Contributing Factor?
When a patient falls, it often turns out that an inattentive staff member wasn’t doing their job. Perhaps they failed to:
- Follow safety protocols for transferring patients
- Keep track of fall-risk patients
- Adequately supervise patients, especially those who are prone to wander
- Keep aggressive patients from pushing or harming others
- Keep bedrails in place
- Keep halls and walkways clear of obstacles
The facility itself may also have contributed to the accident — for example, by:
- Hiring unqualified staff members
- Failing to hire enough staff members to maintain a reasonable staff-to-patient ratio
- Failing to adequately train staff on the dangers of falls
- Failing to keep hand railings, bed rails, and other equipment in proper working order
- Failing to develop protocols for handling fall-risk patients
- Failing to implement bed alarms
At Ford, Dean & Rotundo, P.A., we understand the serious nature of falls among elders. We believe professional care facilities across Florida should be held accountable for keeping patients safe. If your elderly loved one has fallen, you can count on our attorneys to get answers. Our Florida fall injury lawyers are committed to seeking the truth and standing up for those who have no voice.