If you are a resident in one of the nursing homes in Florida, you should be aware of your rights. Under federal and state laws, you have certain rights and protections. These rights are present to protect you and to enhance your well-being. They also ensure that you get the services and care that you require.
Listed below are some of your rights and protections as a nursing home resident. You will only enjoy these rights if you know what is required of you while at home. You also need to understand your duties and responsibilities as a nursing home resident.
Rights of a nursing home resident
1. Quality care and treatment – You have a right to quality care and treatment without discrimination. In this case, “quality” refers to care that is patient centered, timely, efficient, and safe. You are also to be treated with dignity regardless of your condition.
2. Free from abuse and neglect – Nursing home residents have the right to be free from neglect and abuse. This includes freedom from physical punishment, physical restraint, and involuntary seclusion. Your caregivers are not supposed to restrain you in any way, whether physical or chemical, unless it is necessary for the treatment of your medical conditions. You also have a right to be free from sexual, mental, and verbal abuse. Any form of harassment of this nature is to be reported to the relevant nursing home authorities.
3. Right to be treated with respect – This is mandatory. Irrespective of your medical status, your caregivers are required to treat you with respect. Your dignity needs to be always upheld.
4. Right to receive visitors of your choosing – You are entitled to receive visitors of your choosing. They are also allowed to select a reasonable time when they can come to visit you. A nursing home is required to allow your family and loved ones to visit.
5. Right to a responsive and smooth complaint procedure – Whenever you have a complaint, you have the right to a smooth complaint-resolution procedure. A caregiver is supposed to guide you about how to report a complaint. Nursing home authorities are required to provide swift responses to your complaints.
These rights are there to ensure you have a blissful stay in the nursing home. They help create a home-away-from-home environment.