The vaccine was mean to prevent infections; instead it resulted in loss of limbs. Because of medication error of an expired vaccination, which was administered to a Miami area girl at the University of Miami's Miller School of Medicine, the girl now lives as an amputee.
After finding the vaccine was expired by five months, the girl developed blood clots in her limbs, which developed gangrene, the very disease the vaccine was supposed to prevent. The error made by the hospital means this girl will now have to live the rest of her life in need of assistance for everyday tasks.
The accident happened 13 years ago and the girl is now in high school, where she undoubtedly faces difficult tasks that might seem like normal everyday tasks to the other kids in her class. Her family sued the medical center and a jury has now found that the hospital was partially at fault and awarded the girl $12 million to compensate her for her disability resulting from the expired vaccine.
Medication errors happen countless times every day across the country. Most aren't as extreme as this, but some may be even more extreme. These errors can result in serious injury or even death. Therefore it is important that Miami doctors and hospitals follow proper procedures and are held accountable when they make an error.
If someone is injured as a result of a medication error or hospital neglect, it might be wise to consult with a medical malpractice attorney to make sure your rights are preserved.
Source: NBC Miami, "Miramar Teen Who Had All Her Limbs Amputated Awarded $12.6M," Jan. 14, 2012